Monday, February 3, 2014

Healthy Chiles Rellenos (Stuffed Peppers)


Hey there!
Thanks for stopping by to check out my blog. I'm very excited to get started and help each and everyone of you how to eat healthy and be fit, while having lots of fun! So let's get started!

I recently just became a housewife after 11 years of being a nanny and let me tell you, it's a wonderful feeling to be able to start cooking at a decent time. I used to come home and start cooking at 7pm. I was already tired and didn't want to bother making an elaborate meal just for the hubs and I. I would pretty much make the same meals over and over again. Delicious and healthy they were, but we kind of got burnt out.
So yesterday I was talking to my mom on the phone and I just started craving her amazing Chiles Rellenos or Stuffed Peppers but these are Guatemalan style. I had all but one of the ingredients at hand and headed to the store. I was really excited to try out a recipe my mother would make on special occasions and I was goign to get a feel of the hard work she would put just to make these amazing Stuffed Peppers.


                                      Here are the ingredients for Chiles Rellenos
Now, I apologize if you start to drool just by looking at these pictures...
                                                   The mixture to stuff the peppers
  I'm not going to lie, but I did stuff myself with the mixture. It's so good just by itself as well. Yum!
                                   All stuffed and ready to be dipped in the egg mixture



Are you ready for this next picture? Dun, dun, duuuuuun....


                                 It was soooo amazing and gluten free!


So here's the recipe if you are brave enough to make them:

Serving Size: 4 (Makes about 6-8 depending on size of peppers)
Time: Prep 15 minutes
       :Cook 45 minutes
Ready in about 1 hour
Ingredients:
  • 4 poblano peppers
  • 1 russet potato (peeled and diced in small pieces
  • 2 carrots (peeled and diced in small pieces
  • handful of fresh green beans (diced in small pieces)
  • 2 chicken breasts (boiled and chopped in small pieces)
  • 1 tomato (diced)
  • half diced onion
  • 2 eggs room temperature (whites and yolks separated)
  • 1 teaspoon of almond flour (You can use regular flour if you want)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp of oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Cooking oil for frying the stuffed peppers
Directions:
  1. Cut the poblano peppers in half and clean out the inside. Heat up and outdoor or indoor grill. You will need to grill the outside of the peppers so that later you can peel the skin as much as you can. Set them aside when the flesh looks a little burnt and wrap them up in a wet paper towel.
  2. Boil the chicken breasts with enough water to cover them, add salt and the bay leaf for flavor. Boil until chicken is cooked. Chop into small pieces and set aside.
  3. Remember all the vegatables you diced up in the beginning? Yeah, we are goign to boil thoses as well. I usually boil them in separate pans, but if you don't have 3 small pans, just boil the potatoes and carrots together and the grean beans separately (they cook faster). Once they are all cooked, drain the water and in a large bowl combine the chicken, potato, carrots, and green beans.
  4. In a frying pan add enough cooking oil to cover the pan (I use a meditarranean mix from Costco) and heat to medium/low. Add the onions and let them cook for about 1 minute. Then add the diced tomato and cook for about 1 minute. Once those veggies are cooked, add the chicken mixture to the pan and mix around so all the flavors combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and add the 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano to the mixture. Cook about 5 minutes. Start stuffing the peppers. You might have some mixture leftover and that's ok. You can eat it right out of the pan...yummy!
  5. The egg part! With a hand mixer, mix the egg whites until it becomes frotthy like whipped cream. Then one by one add the egg yolks until it's a thick cream. Then add that 1 tsp of almond flour (or your choice of flour) This needs to be thick for you to be able to cover the peppers in it.
  6. Heat up a separate frying pan on Medium/High with about 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
  7. Grab your peppers and slowly dunk them in to the egg cream just enough to cover them. Add them to the frying pan and cook both sides till the egg looks cooked. Be careful when turning the pepper onto the side that has the stuffing, it could fall out.
  8. ENJOY!

You can serve this with white rice and make a tomato sauce to add to the top of the peppers. Or you can just eat it by itself. My mom used to make sandwiches with the Chiles Rellenos. She would cut half a french bread in half and stuff it with the stuffed peppers and lettuce...amazing!

Again! Thanks for stopping by to check out my new blog. I cant't wait to share many more healhty recipes and work out tips with you once I start loading some of my workout routines. Comments are always welcome and make sure to check out my facebook page Click Here and find me on Instagram @Mrsbarker1


-Eat, Laugh, Love

 

No comments:

Post a Comment