Monday, February 3, 2014

Lean Turkey Chili


Brrrr! It is cold outside! But I love it. I rather be cold than hot. Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons of the year. I get to wear cute sweater, jackets, boots, and scarves. Oh and my hair loves it too. Although, I can do without the static, haha!

I am always craving chili, whether it is 115 degrees outside or -1 (Not happening in South Texas but you get where I'm going). My husband in the other hand, only like soups and chili when it is cold outside. So, the fall and winter time is when I take advantage of making chili almost twice a week.  This recipe here, is super easy and delicious. When have I ever blogged about anything but delicious food?

I am actually craving some chili right now and it's not even lunch time yet, haha!

Lean Turkey Chili
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • half onion (chopped)
  • 4 roma tomatoes (diced)
  • 1-2 jalapenos (seeded and diced)
  • 14.5 oz can Chili beans
  • 14.5 oz tomato sauce
  • 2 TBS tomato paste (not pictured since I didn't have any at the moment)
  • 2 TBS Chili powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder or use 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • *2 tsp of ground cayenne pepper for extra spice, if you dare*
Directions:
  1. Cook ground turkey in a pot over medium heat. Cook till browned. Once it's cooked, drain some of the broth and add the diced onion and jalapenos. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, until onions and jalapenos are tender.
  2. Add the can of tomato sauce, diced roma tomatoes, chili beans, tomato paste, and all the seasonings except the salt. Add that later to see if it is needed. Some times the can of chili beans has enough salt, so I don't want it to be too salty.
  3. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes.
  4. Let it cool before serving. You can add cheese, hot sauce (I love spicy food), and/or eat them with tortilla cheaps.

Oh so yummy and hearty!

And that, my dear readers, is how you make a delicious and easy pot of chili. Hope you enjoy it and it makes your heart and soul warm on these cold nights. Stay warm out there!

-Eat, Laugh, Love

No comments:

Post a Comment